This is a very nice medalbar of a senior German Policeman from just before the Second World War. It contains the following medals:
- Iron Cross second class from World War I.
- Saxonian Friedrich August medaille in bronze, awarded for merit and achievements.
- Frontkämpfer Ehrenkreuz (Hindenburgcross) with swords, awarded after 1934 (because it was only in 1934 instituted), to commemorate active frontservice in the trenches of World War I. On the reverse maker marked with G&S, this stands for maker Godet & Sohne.
- Dienstauszeichnung der Polizei 1.Stufe für 25 Jahre (Police medal for 25 years loyal service). In excellent condition and with the rare seperate affixed ribbon with eagle on the ribbon on the medalbar. Often this seperate ribbon is missing, but here it is nicely still present and in great condition too.
- Austria World War I commemorative medal with swords, the swords again indicating active frontservice.
If we “read” the medalbar we can see that the owner was during the Great War active for Germany in the trenchwar, where he earned the Iron Cross and Austrian medal. Later he would around 1934 be awarded the Frontkämpfer Ehrenkreuz to commemorate his service. The Saxonian Friedrich August medal could have been earned earlier than WWI, but also during the war, either way it was awarded in the period between 1905 when it was instituted and 1918, at wars end when it was not awarded anymore. If we keep in mind that the ownwer participated in the First World War and that the institutiondates of the Friedrich august medal and also the 25 years police cross that was instituted only in 1938, it seems plausible that the owner must have been born in the period 1880 – 1890 and was a senior Policeman who was when the Second World War broke out, too old to fight in World War 2 (else he would have had more medals, but logically would have been too old to fight). No doubt he had had a long career by the time the medalbar was made up by a medalmaker.
Overal this is a very impressive medalbar and it’s in excellent condition too. Hard to find!