This is a small group of three items from Knightscross recipient Ernst Ebeling. It consists of his Wehrpass, Vorläufiges Besitzzeugnis des Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes, and Luftwaffen-Flugzeugführerschein.
All three items are in good condition.
- The “Vorläufiges Besitzzeugnis des Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes” is in A5 size and is the so called second form of the Knightscross citation. During the war the luxuary leather RK maps were replaced by these pre-printed “Vorläufiges Besitzzeugnis” citations. The idea was that these were only temporarily untill the actual leather map would be handed out (this took months to make). However, after april 1943 these “Vorläufiges Besitzzeugnis” citations became the only awarded official citations for the Knightscrosses. The here offered citation is in good condition and was folded once. It shows that the Knightscross was awarded on 20 March 1945 to Hauptman Ernst Ebeling. It was signed by Oberst Wolff on 24 March 1945 in Dessau.
- The Wehrpass of Ebeling is present as well. It is an amazing timedocument, complete with passphoto. The Wehrpass can easily be used for a research into Ebeling. If you search in google for Ernst Ebeling you can find many websites listing him and (some of) his background, it is too long to type this all here and many information is readily available online. However, the Wehrpass shows of course a lot more of his military background. Also all his medals and awards are written down and dated:
- Flugzeugfuhrer abzeichen, Frontflugspange in Bronze (11-10-1942), EK2 (08-10-1941), Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz (12-10-1941), Frontflugspange in Silber (22-12-1941), EK1 (28-11-1941), Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten (10-07-1942), Frontflugspange in Gold (30-08-1942), Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (21-10-1942), Deutsches Kreuz in Gold (23-12-1942), Frontflugspange in Gold mit Einsatzzahl “300” (18-04-1944), Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes (23-03-1943). This extensive listing clearly shows that Ernst Ebeling was very highly decorated. Especially the “Frontflugspange in Gold mit Einsatzzahl 300” is rarely encountered in a Wehrpass!
- Particularly interesting are as well the Aktiver Wehrdienst “Eintragungen”. On many occasions is e.g. written down how many enemy airplanes were taken down! This list spans almost all of the war and should be researched more into detail!
- The Luftwaffen-Flugzeugfuhrerschein pass is complete with passphoto (later added, the stamps dont run over it?) and is in good condition as well. It is a pass that is not so easy to find.
As a group this is highly interesting and very very rare to find!
Hauptmann Ernst Ebeling was awarded the Knightscross for his long record of successes as a bomber pilot. By the end of the war he had flown 336 sorties, with over 300 of these being in the East. It can be assumed that he had flown almost all if not all of these by the time he was recommended for the Knight’s Cross. Ebeling survived the war and would make a career in the Bundeswehr were he would ultimately gain the rank of Generalarzt.